Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

When my nose is running 60 mph, I'm coughing, and running a fever, all I want is a big bowl of soup. This tends to be counterproductive because soup makes my nose run even more, but I crave it nonetheless. Today my particular craving was for chicken tortilla soup. My husband who claims to not like Mexican food loves this soup. Typically, I make this is in the crock pot, but since our "quick" grocery trip actually took 1.5 hours, I made it on the stovetop instead. I think I like it better in the crock pot, but stovetop was an adequate substitute. Anywho, this is the crock pot recipe:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans of Rotel tomatoes with green chiles, including juice
2 cans chicken broth
juice from 2 limes
1 can black beans, drained
1 can "fiesta" corn
1 tsp sea salt
4 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese

Put the chicken in the crock pot. Combine the garlic, tomatoes, lime juice, and chicken broth, and pour over the chicken. Cook this on high for 3 hours. When the chicken is done, use two forks to shred it. Mix in remaining ingredients, and stir to incorporate. Turn crock pot to low and let simmer for 30 minutes. We like this with the shredded cheese on top. This one smells to delicious while it cooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment