Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pumpkin Chocolate Bundt Cake

No surprise here that my Thanksgiving dessert was also pumpkin. This was the most moist cake I have ever had. I can't get over how delicious it was! I used my Kitchenaid mixer for this, and it was the first time I've used the KA for anything but ice cream. I was really impressed with it and thankful to have my hands free while it mixed.

2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup applesauce (I used cinnamon applesauce - with all the spices in this, I couldn't taste it)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup fat free sweetened condensed milk
1 can pumpkin

First I put the melted butter and sugar in the mixer and let that go while I got the rest of the ingredients ready. Then I added the applesauce, eggs, milk, and pumpkin and let that beat for a couple of minutes. Then I added the flour, cocoa powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and baking soda. I just let that mix until it looked pretty well incorporated (and while I stood there with my mouth open watching the KA do its magic). Put that in a greased bundt pan and bake for about 55 minutes at 350.



For the icing, I used 8 ounces of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup milk. I mixed everything with a hand mixer except for the milk, and I incorporated the milk slowly until the icing was a consistency that I thought I could spread without making the cake crumble. I tried to drizzle the icing in a lovely, delicate fashion, but that didn't happen. It was delicious anyway.


2 comments:

  1. Looks divinely yummy!!! Sorry if this is a silly question, but what exactly is pumpkin pie spice? Do we find it in the spice aisle? I'm unfamiliar with it. I'm falling more in love with my KitchenAid mixer every day as well, and I'd love to try this for Christmas dessert:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can buy pumpkin pie spice! It's a mix of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice, so you could mix it yourself if you had all those spices on hand too!

    ReplyDelete