Monday, October 17, 2011

Turkey Chili

Luke isn't very picky when it comes to food, and he gives me way more kitchen ego boosts than I deserve. His only request is that dinners include meat - lots of meat - so I was a little nervous about how turkey chili would be received. He loved it so much that I made another batch only a week later. I found this recipe on Skinny Crock Pot and changed it just a bit to fit our taste and the things I actually had in my pantry. It's very low in fat (unless you add all the cheese pictured below...oops) and super high in both protein and fiber!

1 lb lean ground turkey
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
5-6 shakes of black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt

Combine these ingredients and "brown" turkey in a skillet on medium-low heat until it's not pink anymore. Drain fat from turkey.

1 can kidney beans with liquid
1 can black beans with liquid
1 can corn with liquid
1 can diced tomatoes (no salt is better)
1 can tomato paste
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup water

Add turkey and all other ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours. Stir before serving. We like to eat this with cornbread, and Luke likes it with shredded cheddar cheese on top, which is pretty much all that is visible in this photo.

3 comments:

  1. MMM! Sounds DELISH! So this recipe is the most amazing Chili I've EVER had... Erika introduced me to it... This with cornbread is AMAZING!

    https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=e1530899f0&view=att&th=12c3ca7150a35147&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_g4xh63eb0&zw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I wasn't able to open the link on my phone - ill try it on my computer in the morning! I am always looking for new chili recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so yummy! I love using ground turkey, such a great alternative to beef!

    ReplyDelete