Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Taking a break between clients...

Since Luke has started TBS, our schedule has definitely taken some hits, but it was to be expected. Luke brought home a weekly "schedule" which I ignored thanks to helpful info from seasoned Marine wives. There was a spouses orientation a few weeks ago, and I really loved getting to meet some new ladies. While Luke was TADing, I felt like we were kind of in social limbo because our friends were already in TBS classes and we were just hanging out, so it's nice to have met some wives to pass/share the time with. I feel like we have been seriously blessed to have so many other believers in Luke's platoon because not only are their wives encouraging to me/each other, but the guys are really making TBS a positive experience for each other. I'm also sad to see some of our friends head separate ways now that they are graduating from TBS and  heading to MOS school and beyond, but such is life. I've been getting caught up in all the excitement of taking that next step, so I'm definitely looking forward to when we're in their shoes but still trying to enjoy the time we have here too.

TBS has also made me feel really thankful for my internship and my classes because I can't imagine being at home wondering when I'm going to hear from him or when he's going to come home. I've been really busy so far this semester, and I couldn't be happier. I've been co-leading a group in an elementary school, and I really look forward to it all week. The kids are so great, and it's nice to be able to see the world through kids' eyes sometimes. I started my school counseling classes on top of my program at GW, and I am learning so much. While I love learning and studying, I am really getting antsy to actually have a job and be able to put all of this stuff I'm learning into practice (and actually get paid? that'd be a nice bonus...). I am really looking forward to graduation, too. I'm starting to turn into a perpetual student, so it'll be nice to be done with my work at GW.

Pretty much everyone who knows me knows that I am an extreme planner. I like to have a plan at all times because I like having something to work towards. As many of you know, this is not incredibly consistent with military life, so this has been a real struggle and faith test for me. I feel like this semester is the time I should be job searching and lining up something for after graduation, but it just isn't feasible to search and apply for jobs in California, North Carolina, Hawaii, and dare I say, Okinawa. I spent the better part of one week on USAJobs and all of the MCCS websites looking for jobs on/around bases with not a ton of luck. I found several jobs that I will be perfectly qualified for in 4 months, but chances are they won't be available when we actually move. That's another thing: I have no idea when we'll actually move. So in the meantime, I've decided to stop driving myself crazy by trying to plan for the unplanable. It's easy to believe in God's plan when you feel like you have a secure plan and path to follow, so this has been a struggle for me to trust that this is something I just don't know right now and that it's okay to not know. Until then, I will continue to compulsively color-code my daily planner since the day-to-day plan is what I'm working with right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment