Saturday, July 13, 2013

Buttermilk Biscuits

I've had my Southern status questioned on more than one occasion when it's revealed how much I hate sweet tea. Sorry, not my thing. But I think I have a redeeming Southern quality in making buttermilk biscuits. These are so soft and completely melt in your mouth. They are miles above any canned or frozen biscuit and actually really easy to make.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, very cold
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, and cut in the butter in small chunks. I mix it with a potato masher until it looks like a coarse meal. Add the buttermilk and mix it just until it's combined. The dough will be very wet. Turn the dough out on a floured cutting board, and pat (not roll) it down to about 1/2 inch thick. Use a round cutter to cut your biscuits. Place them on a cookie sheet. If you want soft biscuits, place them on the sheet with edges touching. If you like flaky biscuits, leave space between them. Bake them for about 10 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment