Saturday, July 13, 2013

Key Lime Pie Ice Cream

If you've spent any significant amount of time in Asheville, NC, you're probably familiar with The Hop on Merrimon Avenue. This is one of my favorite ice cream shops, second only to Annapolis Ice Cream Company. One of my favorite flavors that I have gotten there is key lime pie, and for some reason, I have been craving it this summer even though I haven't had it in at least 10 years. I found a recipe in an old Southern Living magazine and gave it a shot. Typically I prefer ice cream with some sort of chocolate in it, but this was really delicious and refreshing!

1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp corn starch
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1 cup half & half
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup lime juice
1/2 cup coarsely crushed graham crackers

Whisk the first 3 ingredients in a heavy sauce pan. Gradually whisk in the milk and half and half. Stir constantly over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until it thickens slightly. Remove the sauce pan from the heat, and whisk in the egg yolk. Pour the mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl. Let it cool completely and then add the lime juice, lime zest, and graham crackers. Freeze in an ice cream maker, or freeze overnight in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment