Monday, September 9, 2013

Sweet Potato Pound Cake

The first week that Luke was gone flew by thanks to planned dinners/visits every night of the week. While they were all a blast, I particularly loved getting to see some friends from the mainland who took time out of their family vacation to come see me (and give me a much-needed hair cut!). I've been looking for a reason to try this recipe, and I thought a visit from some fellow Southerners was the perfect excuse! It was seriously amazing - it tasted just like Fall, which continues to escape me here in beautiful Hawaii. Poor me, right? I don't remember where exactly I found this recipe, but I had it written on a note card stuck inside one of my cookbooks, which probably means I copied it down from someone else's cookbook!

For the cake:

4 eggs
3 medium sweet potatoes, cooked & mashed
2 sticks unsalted butter
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp half & half
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix the eggs, butter, vanilla, and sweet potatoes until creamy. Mix in the flour 1 cup at a time, followed by the remaining dry ingredients. Pour batter into a sprayed bundt pan, and bake it for about 50 minutes at 350 degrees. When it's done, cool it in the pan on a wire baking rack until completely cool. Run a knife around the edges and turn the cake out onto whatever you're going to serve it on.

To make the glaze, mix the ingredients until the powdered sugar is incorporated and the glaze is smooth. Drizzle it over the cooled cake.

6 comments:

  1. For the 3 medium sweet potatoes, the amount would be how many cups?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the 3 medium sweet potatoes, the amount would be how many cups?

    ReplyDelete
  3. when do you add the milk from the instructions at the top

    ReplyDelete
  4. Normally rule of thumb, you would mix all wet ingredients, then all dry ingredients. I creamed all but the the eggs, adding the milk@ room temperature & alternating first egg,then flour & spice mixture 1 cup @ a time,1 egg @ a time scraping the sides of the bowl after each cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you use cake flour, or will it be too light for the liquid contents? Just wondering? Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete