Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Crock Pot Lasagna

For the past couple weeks, I have been questioning how I will be cooking in Lawton, Oklahoma. Since Luke is here in TAD orders, we could only bring 600 lbs, which means limited space for kitchen essentials. It's probably a good thing that I couldn't bring all that I wanted since our teeny tiny kitchen has no space and certainly no pantry, which means food in the cabinets (this is a big deal breaker for me, but being as we have no choice and all...). Anyway, I did bring along the crock pot since it apparently has limitless possibilities, according to pinterest. I found a recipe for some vegetarian lasagna, but that just wouldn't do, so I added a hearty amount of meat. I had to change a few things around since the commissary here apparently does not carry zucchini (I asked a stock girl to point me in the direction of the zucchini, and she very snottily pointed at the squash and said, "It's right there!") and because all of my spices and such are in my car which will arrive later in August. This was really easy to make and only had about 15 minutes active prep time. It cooks for 2 hours on high or 4 on low.

1 egg
1 16 oz container of part skim ricotta
1/2 bag of spinach
4 portobello mushroom caps, chopped (or broken, if in my case, your knives haven't arrived yet)
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced (I had to used canned zucchini, which worked fine)
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
1 29-oz can diced tomatoes
3 minced cloves garlic
6 whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked (the original recipe called for 15 noodles, but I couldn't fit any more layers in mine)
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 lb ground beef, browned

Combine the egg, ricotta, spinach, mushrooms, and zucchini in a bowl. In another bowl, combine the garlic with both cans of tomatoes with their juice (note: this is what the original recipe said. I did this and thought there was too much liquid in it. I'll probably drain the tomatoes next time). In the crock pot, start with a layer of tomatoes and top this with lasagna noodles, covering as much of the tomato mixture as you can. I had to break the noodles to fit them in my pot. Next, add half of the ricotta mixture evenly and top this with meat and then 1.5 cup mozzarella. Repeat this, ending with tomato mixture on top. I added an extra layer of mozzarella on top for good measure. I cooked mine on high for 2 hours, and it turned out perfectly. It turned out pretty well but obviously doesn't have the same neat texture of lasagna baked in a pan. It tasted just as good though.

Ricotta mixture: one of those foods that probably looks the same going in and coming back up

Geometry isn't my strong point

layer 1

layer 2

melty

definitely not baked lasagna texture, but it tasted just the same. 



No comments:

Post a Comment