Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Easy Coffee Cake

One of the hardest parts of moving frequently is having to find a new church home. In Annapolis, we loved our time at Bay Area Community Church and met some really encouraging people. After trying a few on for size in Stafford, we found a great home in Mount Ararat Baptist. It's always intimidating for me to "church shop" because I feel bad if we don't like one, but I also don't want to settle somewhere that isn't going to encourage us spiritually. When we got to Oklahoma, didn't have to shop around long before we found a church that felt like home. They even have Sunday School, which seems to be a lost art. The teacher is a West Point grad, so I anticipate some friendly hostility come December. This past Sunday was my day to bring a snack for Sunday school, so I made this really easy coffee cake. It was easy enough to make in the morning before we left, and we didn't get to bring much home, so I think it was hit.

For the cake:
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
3/4 cup milk, or as needed
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For the streusel:
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

In a large bowl, mix 2 cup flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Crack the egg into a measuring cup and add milk until the mixture is 1 cup. Add the vanilla to the egg/milk. Pour it into the crumb mixture and stir it until is moistened. Spread this into a greased brownie or 8x8 pan (the 9x13 is too big - I tried. more dishes, dang it!). The batter is thick and sticky, so I'll spray my spatula next time I make this.

In a smaller bowl, mix the dry ingredients for the streusel. Cut in the butter until you have coarse crumbs again. Sprinkle this on top of the cake, and bake it for 25 minutes at 350.

I forgot to take pictures of this one, so I only have the last remaining piece that we brought home.  It disappeared within 5 minutes of being home.


No comments:

Post a Comment